Importing into Australia
To help protect Australia’s unique environment from unwanted pests and diseases, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources regulates products imported into Australia. The importation of some products is, by law, subject to certain biosecurity import conditions. Some products are not permitted entry while other products are only allowed into Australia subject to meeting import conditions that mitigate the biosecurity risk. This may include a requirement for an import permit.
You can use the Biosecurity Import Conditions System (BICON) to determine whether a commodity intended for import into Australia:
- is permitted
- is subject to import conditions
- requires supporting documentation
- requires treatment
- needs an import permit.
It is your responsibility to comply with the department’s import conditions when importing into Australia.
BICON will identify whether your goods require an
import permit. You can apply, track and manage your BICON import permits online using your
BICON registered user account.
Most import permits will be issued within 20 working days of completed applications being received and paid for in full. Applications may take longer if:
- they require technical assessment
- incomplete or incorrect information is provided by the applicant
- additional information is required to continue the assessment (applicants will be notified of this by the assessing officers)
- it is a novel product or has been prepared in a novel manner.
Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON)
Importing into Australian External Territories
Conditions for imports into the Australian external territories of Norfolk Island, Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are not contained in BICON. For information about all imports into these Australian external Territories, please visit the
External Territories webpage
To help you comply with your biosecurity obligations, the department has established a team to answer your questions about import conditions and permits. You can contact the team by:
- Phone: 1800 900 090 or + 61 3 8318 6700 (from outside Australia)
- the 'Contact Us' function within BICON.