The government is creating a new position of Inspector-General of Murray–Darling Basin Water Resources. This role will help deliver the Murray–Darling Basin Plan. It will improve transparency, accountability and community confidence.
government will appoint Mick Keelty AO as Interim Inspector-General from 1 October 2019. This is pending new laws under the Water Act 2007 to create a permanent position.
The Northern Basin Commissioner role will be subsumed by the Interim Inspector-General role from 1 October 2019.
This new position reflects the success of the Northern Basin Commissioner role, which has improved confidence in compliance and enforcement in the northern Basin.
Restore confidence for all stakeholders in the integrity of the Murray–Darling Basin Plan.
Maintain the integrity of the delivery of the Murray–Darling Basin Plan.
The Inspector-General will:
- provide independent assurance over Basin Plan implementation and progress of water recovery and delivery of supply and constraint infrastructure projects;
- ensure the Murray–Darling Basin Authority and Basin State and Territory governments meet their compliance responsibilities under the Water Act 2007
- exercise statutory powers of investigation and compel people to produce information
- assess how well Australian Government agencies perform their functions and implement the Basin Plan
- receive allegations of non-compliance with the Water Act 2007, the Basin Plan and water resource plans
- refer non-compliance with Australian laws to appropriate authorities
- engage with the community about Basin Plan implementation and compliance matters.
The Inspector-General will be a statutory role. The Office of the Inspector-General will investigate and report on compliance. The government will consult with all relevant State, Territory and Australian Government agencies to draft the legislation.
The Inspector-General will travel widely across the Basin. The Office of Inspector-General will include an executive officer and support staff based in the Basin. Staff will assist the Inspector-General by:
- undertaking research
- liaising with stakeholders
- preparing reports
- providing administrative and secretariat support.
The Inspector-General will report directly to the:
- Minister for Water Resources, Drought, Rural Finance, Natural Disaster and Emergency Management
- Murray–Darling Basin Ministerial Council.
Contact the Office of the Inspector-General
Phone: 1800 317 291
Learn more about the
Murray–Darling Basin Plan.