This page outlines the information that must be included with a permit application to import the following products:
- Veterinary therapeutics and medicines
- Topical therapeutic washes
- Veterinary semen extenders
The requirements outlined below apply to permit applications for products for commercial and non-commercial (i.e. personal) use.
Domestic pet owners should review the information below thoroughly before ordering veterinary products from overseas to ensure they are able to provide all necessary information in support of their application.
Fees are charged for the submission and assessment of an import permit application. Veterinary products are classified as Category 5 commodities for assessment purposes.
For full details of fees payable see the department’s charging guidelines.
The Veterinary Products Questionnaire must be completed by the manufacturer of the veterinary product and submitted with all applications for import permit. This Questionnaire requires manufacturers to provide information relating to the composition, manufacture and packaging of the product, as well as quality control measures in place at the manufacturing facility.
In completing the Questionnaire manufacturers must also attach additional documents containing tables or flow charts. Additional documents must meet the following format:
- From the manufacturer
- Specifying the product name(s)
- On manufacturer’s letterhead (including company address and country)
- Signed by a senior company employee from the site of manufacture whose name, title and contact details also appear
- Dated within the last 6 months, free from erasures and uncertified alterations (all alterations must be initialled by the senior company employee responsible for signing the declaration)
- Written in English.
All information made available to the Department of Agriculture remains strictly commercial-in-confidence and is protected against unauthorised disclosure by the department to any other party under Australian Federal Law.