31 May 2019
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that New Zealand is seeking feedback on the Import Health Standards (IHS) for the import of fresh fruit and vegetables for human consumption.
Summary of changes and key points
- The New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has completed a review of all fresh fruit and vegetable IHSs.
- All existing country/commodity IHSs, schedules and country/commodity standards will be converted to a new format.
- The revised standards, once finalised, will become part of the New Zealand Export Plan, which is replacing the Australia-New Zealand Bilateral Quarantine Arrangement Systems Operation Manual 6E (BQA-SOM).
- MPI will be undertaking a 10 day public engagement on the standards, and are encouraging anyone sending or interested in sending fresh fruit and vegetables to New Zealand to provide feedback.
- The dates for the engagement will be published on the MPI webpage shortly. The MPI website also has an option to subscribe to receive notifications about the public engagement.
MPI has completed a review of all existing country/commodity IHSs, schedules and country/commodity standards for the import of fresh fruit and vegetables. This will form part of the New Zealand Export Plan, which is replacing the Australia-New Zealand Bilateral Quarantine Arrangement Systems Operation Manual 6E (BQA-SOM).
The department has been negotiating the development of the Export Plan, which has been drafted with the aim of simplifying export requirements for industry while continuing to meet New Zealand’s IHSs. The Export Plan will not only include fruit fly hosts, but also fresh produce commodities that New Zealand determines need particular phytosanitary measures.
The department is working towards an implementation date of late 2019, noting this timeframe is pending further negotiations with New Zealand. The department will notify stakeholders on the progress of the Export Plan. Until the Export Plan is implemented, the Australian export industry can continue under the current arrangements in the BQA-SOM.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Horticulture Exports Program.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch