30 August 2017
Assistant Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Senator the Hon. Anne Ruston met with ministers and senior officials responsible for forestry and regional forest agreements in Launceston, Tasmania, for the third Forestry Ministers Meeting.
The ministers discussed a range of issues facing Australia’s forest and forest products industries and progressing activities to support these industries, including:
- state initiatives to assist the forest and forest product sectors
- the successful extension of Tasmania’s Regional Forest Agreement (RFA) and the importance of progressing RFA reviews and extensions across all the RFA states
- support for the continuing development of an implementation plan in response to the government recommendations in the Forest Industry Advisory Council’s report,
Transforming Australia’s forest products industry
- progressing forestry research and development through the National Institute for Forest Products Innovation
- further collaboration across governments to secure a prosperous future for Australia’s forest industries.
The ministers agreed that:
- the RFA states would continue to collaborate on outcomes and learnings from their RFA processes
- the Australian Government and Chair of the Forestry and Forest Products Committee (senior officials) would provide progress reports to future Forestry Ministers Meetings on the implementation of the Forest Industry Advisory Council recommendations relevant to governments.