1 December 2017
Assistant Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Senator the Hon. Anne Ruston met with ministers and senior officials responsible for forestry and regional forest agreements in Adelaide, for the fourth Forestry Ministers Meeting.
The ministers discussed a range of issues facing Australia's forest and forest products industries and progressing activities to support these industries, including:
- the new Australian Government plan to support Australia's renewable timber and wood-fibre industry, announced by the Prime Minister in September 2017
- the successful progress of Regional Forest Agreement (RFA) processes in all RFA states
- progress on implementing the government recommendations in the Forest Industry Advisory Council's report, Transforming Australia's forest products industry
- opportunities for expanding Australia's plantation estates
- the government's reforms to Australia's illegal logging laws
The ministers agreed that:
- the RFA states reaffirmed their commitment to the RFAs and would continue to collaborate on outcomes from their RFA processes
- they were supportive of the new Australian Government plan for the renewable timber and wood-fibre industry
- the Forestry and Forest Products Committee (senior officials) would report to future Forestry Ministers Meetings on the implementation of the Forest Industry Advisory Council recommendations relevant to governments.