Our responsibilities as a department are wide-ranging—agriculture, fisheries, forestry, biosecurity, international trade and markets, exports, scientific research and water resources.
The Generalist stream will give you a taste of the expansive work of the department, and you’ll be at the forefront of innovative solutions in the public service.
We may use this process to fill graduate positions in other agencies within the agriculture portfolio, including the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) and the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).
- Diploma of Project Management.
- Three workplace rotations to experience the policy, programme, corporate and taskforce work undertaken by the department.
- A five day industry visit, providing you with a rich on the job learning experience, the opportunity to meet with stakeholders and complete a research project.
- A mentoring programme with executive level staff.
- Compete for a work placement within one of the department’s portfolio agencies or regional offices.
- A visit to the Minister’s Office, Senate Estimates and Parliament House to gain exposure to parliamentary proceedings.
- An active network of graduates, access to a buddy and senior executive Graduate Champion.
- A targeted suite of learning and development to become an effective policy or programme officer including:
- administrative law
- presentation skills
- policy development and writing skills
- writing instructional material and report writing
- APSC graduate series, including the APS Graduate Great Debate
- risk management and hazard identification
- public financial literacy skills
- cultural awareness training
- meetings with the Graduate Champion and senior executive staff
- opportunities to attend selected events, seminars and conferences
- targeted eLearning programmes dependant on rotations.
On successful completion of the program, you will become a permanent employee of the department at the APS4 classification and salary.