Our responsibilities as a department are wide-ranging—agriculture, fisheries, forestry, biosecurity, international trade and markets, exports, scientific research and water resources.
Our Finance and Accounting stream develops graduates to become trusted financial advisors and business partners across the full range of our business responsibilities.
- Diploma of Project Management.
- Three workplace rotations through finance and accounting roles to experience the financial operations, financial management, commercial business and corporate support areas.
- The opportunity to complete a CPA or CA program after successful completion of the graduate rotations.
- A five day visit to a regional office to identify innovative financial processes and improvements.
- A mentoring programme with executive level staff.
- Compete for a work placement within one of the department’s portfolio agencies or regional offices.
- A visit to the Minister’s Office, Senate Estimates and Parliament House to gain exposure to parliamentary proceedings.
- An active network of graduates, access to a buddy and senior executive level Graduate Champion.
- A targeted suite of learning and development to become an effective Australian Public Service employee, including:
- administrative law
- presentation skills
- policy development and writing skills
- writing instructional material and report writing
- APSC graduate series, including the APS Graduate Great Debate
- risk management and hazard identification
- APSC Financial Literacy
- cultural awareness training
- meetings with the Graduate Champion and Senior Executive Staff
- opportunities to attend selected events, seminars and conferences
- targeted eLearning programmes dependant on rotations.
On successful completion of the program, you will become a permanent employee of the department at the APS4 classification and salary.