The recipients of the 2018 Science and Innovation Awards for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry have been announced at the ABARES Outlook 2018 conference dinner on 6 March. The Science Awards recognise big ideas from young rural innovators that contribute to the success of Australia’s agriculture sector.
Congratulations to Rhys Pirie who was awarded the ultimate honour with the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources Award for his project -
Low cost, high efficiency fertilisers from organic wastes and recycled materials.
We congratulate all the recipients of the industry category awards:
- Jamie Barwick, recipient of the Australian Wool Innovation Award
- Maddison Corlett, recipient of the Australian Meat Processor Corporation Award
- Sofie De Meyer, recipient of the Grains Research and Development Corporation Award
- Cassandra Douglas-Hill, recipient of the AgriFutures Australia Award
- Monica Kehoe, recipient of the Wine Australia Award
- Christina Marth, recipient of the Dairy Australia Award
- Dale McClure, recipient of the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Award
- Jarud Muller, recipient of the Meat & Livestock Australia Award
- Tanya Nowland, recipient of the Australian Pork Limited Award
- Rhys Pirie, recipient of the Cotton Research and Development Corporation Award
- Kirsty Short, recipient of the CSIRO Health and Biosecurity Award.
winners’ booklet PDF [2.40 MB, 31 pages] to read about each recipient’s project.
Recipients have each been granted funding to undertake a project on an emerging scientific issue or innovative activity over the next twelve months. The recipient of the Minister’s Award receives additional funding for an extended research project. The Awards aim to encourage science, innovation and technology in rural industries and help to advance the careers of young scientists and innovators through national recognition of their research ideas. The Science Awards have already helped more than 230 young Australians make their ideas a reality and showcase their talent to the world.
2018 Science Award partners
We thank our partners for their support and commitment to the 2018 Science Awards.
- AgriFutures Australia
- Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- Australian Pork Limited
- Australian Wool Innovation
- Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- CSIRO Health and Biosecurity
- Dairy Australia
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Meat & Livestock Australia
- Wine Australia
Questions? Contact the Science Awards team at
Science Awards or phone 02 6272 2260 / 02 6272 2303.